Dearth- word for the day

Dearth noun \ˈdərth\
: an inadequate supply : lack <a dearth of monetary resources>
I can feel that word. It is part of who I am right now.
  1. Dearth of monetary funds
  2. Dearth of positive attitude
  3. Dearth of discipline
  4. Etc., etc., ad infinitum
  5. Antonyms: On the other hand I have a wealth of bills, abundance of bad attitude and plenty of apathy
Trust me I have not always been like this. This is a new experience for me. I have more than a few friends and acquaintances that are in hard times and places as bad or worse than mine. As I look around, it gets harder to see anything that is NOT depressing.
The city parks are going down hill due to budgetary constraints. It was announced in our local paper that more than a million dollars is outstanding in property taxes from last year that people could not pay.
The question comes to mind, did we become so accustomed to so many amenities that now those are luxuries and doing without things we used to take for granted have become the new norm. Sorry, I still have not adjusted. The prospects of not being able to work again and if I do, jobs have become just a small part of daily torment for most people. I hate being so negative, but I know right now I am not the only Boomer on the planet feeling the pain. It is like someone has a vice grip on your little finger, are you going to stand there and through positive thought say that this is not happening; you can mentally block out the pain? For those who have practiced Eastern meditation (not many of us) and bio-feedback or have trained as a Navy Seal, you guys stand a chance. The rest of us, we'll just keep breathing and hoping it will all go away. I'm ready for my Alice in Wonderland story now.

Comments

  1. HI I understand stand your concerns and feelings. This is not looking good. There is two small of a difference between the poor and the middle class, thats scary. The American dream of owning your own home is disappearing for many. It is not a given anymore and maybe it never should have been.

    We must hope that partisan politics are finally laid to rest and the electorate remember that we need more statesman and less politicians.

    http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/07/grand-canyon-part-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am 65 an head to 66 a 100 mile an hour, looking back 45 years ago i help build the homes in my neighborhood. they sold 9995.00 11000 square feet three bedroom home. i bought mine a 76,000 and they tell me its worth 110,000. it take the same amount of work to build a home to day as it did back then. the cost of materials is about the same. so the cost is inflation. i have to run, but will be back with more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I let not having the amenities bring me down I would have been gone some time ago. I do however have an understanding , my mama who had worked all her life has nothing bu SS and veterans retirement. She receives food stamps, can barely afford her meds. How sad, she is 86 yrs. old and gave all her life. Now we who should, have no ability to give back. Our means has been taken away for one reason or another. I'm sorry you are feeling this pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't blame you at all for being negative! When one grows up a certain way and then is forced to see the world it is now there is no wonder some amount of pessimism will set in.... The world needs to change. Kriti
    http://kriti-howaboutthis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda I can totally sympathize with you. I have been where you are now. I still go down that road often. I have tried positive thinking, meditation, read spiritual books but sometimes nothing seems to work. I hope things look positive for you soon.

    http://rimlybezbaruah.blogspot.com/2011/07/hope-and-wait.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I posted a comment. I am afraid that it might not have gone through. I will wait to see..if not I will rewrite it. I am with you and you brought a tear to my eyes.

    http://debirant.blogspot.com/2011/07/grandson.html#links

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snarky Boomer’s First Days In a New Direction

The Finer Things In Life Are The Simple Things In Life

BANG! Start Off 2012