Sublimate - word for the day

sublimate \SUHB-luh-meyt\, verb:

I receive, courtesy of dictionary.com a word for the day, today it is sublimate, and one of the definitions is: In psychology, to direct the energy of a primitive impulse into activities that are considered to be socially more acceptable.

I began to think of just how much sublimating I do and wondering if after a lifetime of sublimating, does this cause permanent psychological harm to the psyche?

  1. The primitive impulse to curse the non English speaking customer service person on the other end of the phone, after going through the menu three times to just get a live body.
  2. To do bodily harm to the jackass who dove in front of me in rush hour traffic, just because I gave enough room to not rear end the guy in front of me.
  3. The primitive impulse to take up sniper rifle training and then sit outside the Capital building waiting for Congressional recess.
  4. The primitive impulse to knock that smart mouth kid's head off, as he back talks to his mother in public- no! wait, I must sublimate.
  5. Sublimate- I think I will go knit something for the grandson now and have a glass of wine.

Comments

  1. Your grandson and other immediate family appreciate your continued efforts at sublimation. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my all time favorite words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Snarky Boomer’s First Days In a New Direction

The Finer Things In Life Are The Simple Things In Life

BANG! Start Off 2012